Saturday 26 September 2015

Resin kit! Tips?

Nope, the punctuation in the title isn't wrong. A Google search might mistakenly have lead you here, thinking it's a post with tips about working with resin kits. It's possible to find some in the comments, but it's about me starting my first resin kit and being a little anxious about it.

It's a limited-run kit (only 75 made) I bought around 20 years ago at a convention, that will finally be promoted to the workbench. It's not your typical model of a tank, airplane, car or boat. Scroll down for a first sneak-peak.

So far, the knowledge/tips/tools I have gathered are :

  • a motor tool to do the heavy work cutting away flash and sanding the pieces to fit
  • a respirator when doing the above mentioned sanding
  • a remote corner of the yard to perform said work (I don't want resin dust in the ventilation system, do I?)
  • a 2-component epoxy to glue everything together.
    (CA only works on small parts. This thing is about 1 meter (3 feet) long.)
If you can think of any other important tips before I start ruining the kit :-), feel free to shout a comment (here or Facebook, doesn't matter).

Which kit? Oh right : a 1/1 scale Type III Phaser Rifle, as seen in Star trek - First contact. 
No delicate parts, should be a straightforward build, except for cleaning up what is now a huge ill-fitting mess.

Wish me luck!




1 comment:

  1. Good luck....
    As you say no small fiddly parts but I still find resin daunting. I have just spent some serious coin on a resin model so will watch what you do for pointers.

    ReplyDelete