Sunday 6 January 2013

A clear coat for the submarine

I tried giving the submarine a coat of gloss varnish, but it wouldn't go very well. I experimented with thinning it, but not sure the result will be okay.

In the end, the varnish was really pebbly or grainy, not sure what the best term is. It's hard to get on camera, but here's a picture anyway.


I'm not sure if it was a bad (old?) bottle of varnish, or if there's some trick to applying it to prevent this. I doubt I'll be able to correct it, unless maybe by putting a massive wet coat on top of it, to even it all out.

The bottle's empty now anyway, so correcting it will be for later.

7 comments:

  1. This happens with Car Paint, it's refered to Orange Peel

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_peel_(effect)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I googled and find your post. I had exactely the same problem. I airbrushed the vallejo gloss varnish, and there are lots of little spots sized around 0.5mm. Have you found an answer to this? It would help me alot. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got a real answer for you. I've had somewhat better results by thinning it 50/50 with Vallejo's thinner (the new one, not the old milky white one), but I switched to Alclad klear kote as a varnish.

      Delete
    2. I *was* able to fix it, by sanding it down carefully and revarnishing (with Alclad), but if you sand away the paint, be prepared for touching up.
      http://jvtroyen.blogspot.be/2013/05/attack-submarine-with-sanding-paper.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks a lot for your reply. And after seeing your that, I just bought a klear from the supermarket. And yes, I used the same method of sanding to "save" my model, and the result is kind of acceptable. Anyways, thanks agina. Love your blog!

      Delete
    4. One more thing: if you do start using Alclad klear kote, know that I thin it about 30% with white spirit (= mineral spirits). It handles better, but requires a few more coats.

      Delete
    5. Thanks, I am using now the Revell Aqua Color. If one day I transfer to Alcald, I will maybe come back for some of your advices. : )

      Delete